Monday, January 17, 2011

Our Strong Family, a Few Marbles at a Time

Building a strong family is not always an easy feat. It takes a lot of diligence and effort, amongst our busy life. There are some things we do as a family that are easier for us than others. There are some that we struggle to be consistent with, which was really bothering me! I really wanted to bring our consistency and diligence up a notch, and "raise that bar" a little higher in my home.

So a couple of months ago I decided that we needed to have a Family Home Evening lesson on what it means to build a strong family. We sat the children down and had them help us list the things that help us to be valiant, as a family. We came up with 5 things, then added one more ("work") a couple of weeks later...


We wrote these things down and gave them each a rating (between 1-10) of how we felt we were doing at the time. Our goal is to get a consistent 10pt rating on every one of these. Every month we evaluate our list to see if we are reaching our goal. (I'd like to create a graph to show our progress, so I left the old ratings up there too. Kind of a mess right now, but once I get that done we'll be able to clean up the board a bit. **Anyone have an idea of how I could make this into some sort of graph?)



I decided that we needed an incentive to help motivate and remind us of our goal, so I washed out an old Kraft Mayonnaise container and turned it into a MARBLE JAR. Every time we do something on our list, we put a marble into our jar. (Some of these are worth 2 or 3 marbles, depending on difficulty levels, etc.) We decided, as a family, on a REWARD for when we fill our jar to the top (which will be going out to dinner at Panda Express- the kids' fave, as a family).

This plan has been working beautifully in our home. We certainly haven't been perfect, but we are striving daily. I've truly noticed a difference in our home when we are diligently doing what is most important! Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Wow, this really is a great idea. One of my resolutions this year was to improve the quality time and bonds I have with my family.

    I'm going to give this a try! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have excel on your computer it would be really easy to put into a spreadsheet that you can pretty up and print off. If you would like help let me know.

    salvageddesigns@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! Natasha- Thanks... I will try that. I'm not the best with excel, but I will take the opportunity to get the hang of it and try this out. Thanks for the tip!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, Love, Love this idea!! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, Love, Love this idea!! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I'm so glad that you have a close-knit family! Hold on to each other! Unfortunately, I couldn't build a strong marriage with my husband. At first, it seemed that marriage could only take place out of love and sexual desire, but this isn't so. Alas, we realized this late, when we had already bought a house and had two children. We talked a lot about the fact that our family isn't as good as each other as before. However, we couldn't decide on divorce for a long time. But a little later I accidentally saw a message from the mistress on the husband's phone. And my patience came to an end. I didn’t tell him anything. I didn’t attract lawyers here. And I'm just filing for divorce in Texas. I think this is the right decision.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails